Torsby kommun
Torsby kommun

Education for adults

Torsby Municipality offers training programmes and courses for adults (KOMVUX). Adult education is available at the level of primary and upper secundary school.

One of our most popular courses is the language course Swedish for immigrants (SFI).

The adult education offered by Torsby Municipality is free of charge, but students pay for their own teaching materials. Students follow lessons at the Stjerneskolan, together with upper secondary school pupils.

Who can participate?

If you are over 20 years old and

  • do not have diplomas from primary or secondary education,
  • need a certificate in order to be allowed to higher education,
  • wish to increase your skills or learn new skills in order to get a job, or
  • wish to learn Swedish,

then the adult education programme may be useful for you.

To participate, you need to

Examination without education

Perhaps you do not wish to follow lessons, but only want to pass the examinations that are required to receive a certain certificate. The Stjerneskolan offers the possibility to pass examinations without following education for the amount of SEK 500 per course. Please contact our counselor (studie- och yrkesvägledare) at the Stjerneskolan in order to discuss this option.

Health and Social Care

The Health and Social Care programme is a vocational training for adults who wish to work as a caregiver. When you complete this training, you will be able to apply for work in institutions for the elderly and the disabled, in daycare, psychiatry and home services.

The programme consists of three full-time terms at the Stjerneskolan. In order to be allowed to this training, you need to have some fluency in Swedish, as shown for example by a diploma in Swedish at the level of primary school.

Read more about the Vård- och omsorgsutbildning (in Swedish).

Special education

The SÄRVUX programme is a special education programme for adults who have development disabilities or brain impairments. This education is also offered at the level of primary and secondary education.

How to apply

All courses and training programmes start in August. The Health and Social Care programme also starts in January. If you would like to participate, you need to apply by 15 May at the latest, or by 15 October for the programme starting in January.

To be admitted to a programme, you need to fill out the application form and add the following documents:

  • statement of your registration in the municipality of Torsby,
  • a copy of your permanent civic registration and/or residence permit,
  • copies of diplomas, if applicable,
  • references of former employers, if you are applying for the Health and Social Care programme.

There is a separate application form for special education for adults (SÄRVUX). Please contact the Stjerneskolan if you wish to apply.

Validation of diplomas

If you have diplomas from another country, these may need to be validated for Sweden. More information on validation of diplomas or validation of professional skills can be found on the website of the Swedish Council for Higher Education (UHR). Diplomas need only be translated to Swedish if they are stated in another language than English.


For assistance with your application or for more information on adult education in Torsby, you are welcome to contact the counselor for KOMVUX (studie- och yrkesvägledare) at Stjerneskolan. He can also help you choose the right education for you and assist you in planning your studies.

Visit the Stjerneskolan's website.

Innehållsansvarig: Helena Westh
Senast genomgången:
Senast uppdaterad: